Sunday, June 24, 2007

Opportunities.

I've gone quite some time without blogging because of work, but I'm rejuvenated after a weekend at the lake and a July 4th break on the horizon.

I usually blog about sports, namely the Cardinals, but given the fact that the Redbirds have been awful, I have nothing to say. Therefore, I'll give you a little taste of my summer job and the frustrations that lie therein.

Essentially, I work for the Missouri Government and their Summer Feeding Program. I arrive at a school cafeteria in Kennett at about 6:30 each morning and help to prepare, wrap, pack, and deliver free meals to surrounding towns for kids who don't have a whole lot.

The work, I thought, would be quite gratifying given the fact that I would have an opportunity to serve others, and through serving, minister to the less-fortunate by providing a smiling face and a warm meal. Though I do feel like I've made an impression on some people as a Christian, I feel saddened at how ungrateful the majority of the kids are that come and receive these meals for free.

Very rarely does a "thank you" escape the lips of these kids; however, such a fault lies not on them, but on their parents or guardians. I see the way that the parents of the kids act, and then I realize how important a good role model is because the children routinely participate in the same actions as their parents. For instance, one lady brings her children to eat every day and constantly cusses at them, threatens to beat them, and just mentally and verbally abuses them. In turn, I've noticed that the kids struggle to be kids---they can't do anything without being yelled at. Also, because those kids have been shown no respect, they show no respect, which is evident when they constantly badger me and try to break the rules at the serving site.

I honestly believe God has presented me with this job in order to test my patience and anger management. I am a former hot-head who would've erupted earlier if presented with these same circumstances. I think He placed me in a situation in which I thought people would be much more cooperative and understanding, given the fact that they are receiving lunches for free, in order to let me practice patience and calmness for use later on down the road.

I've been cussed at, yelled at, and made fun of simply for handing out lunches and enforcing rules.

As long as I continue to smile and serve, I think I'll eventually shine through as someone who is different, and that's just what I want to be.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thank you, Lord, for opportunities to shine your light to children who have only known what their parents have taught them. May I be as much of a blessing to them as they are to me. Amen.

No comments: